Employees will be given the information needed to comply with the NMSU Lab Safety Guide, State and federal regulations.
Prerequisite: Employee Safety & HazCom
Course Content Includes:
1. OSHA's Laboratory Standard components
a. Detection methods
b. Hazard identification
c. Lab hazards
e. PPE & Safety equipment
f. Medical exam
g. Emergency actions
h. PEL & Exposure symptoms
2. Chemical Hygiene Plan Components
3. General compliance requirements and typical hazards
4. Physical & health hazards of lab chemicals
5. Measures employees can take to protect themselves
6. Emergency procedures
7. Personal protective equipment
8. Disposal requirements for chemicals
Who should attend: All University employees and others who are assigned to a NMSU laboratory where hazardous chemicals are present.
Training Frequency: Initial training upon job assignment and annual refresher thereafter.