Introduction to safe practices for handling biological agents. This course is required prior to working with recombinant or synthetic DNA, infectious materials, infectious animals, human clinical samples and other research-related projects that require BSL-2 or an enhanced BSL-2 containment.
This course covers:
• The risk assessment process
• Biosafety levels and their best practices
• Engineering and administrative controls, as well Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Disinfection methods and biohazardous waste disposal
• Accidental spill and exposure response
• Shipping and transporting biological materials