Course Description: This course will teach workers how to safely rig loads that will be moved by cranes, hoists, or other equipment. This includes planning a lift, inspecting and selecting slings, determining a load’s weight, using a sling angle chart, and working with a crane operator.
Course Objectives: As a result of completing this course, students will be able to:
1. Identify the advantages, disadvantages, and limitations of each type of sling.
2. Identify inspection criteria for slings and rigging hardware.
3. List the questions a rigger should ask while planning a lift.
4. Identify the methods for determining a load’s weight, the factors that impact a sling’s lifting capacity and how to balance the load.
5. Identify the characteristics of vertical, choker and basket hitches.
6. Identify hazards posed by working near a crane and the safe practices for avoiding them.